I took Cadee to the burn clinic last Friday, and the Dr there said that she needed surgery. He recommended an excision, which is basically to cut out the 3rd degree burn and stitch the leg together. He said if there wasn't enough skin, she would need a skin graft. He asked if she had any medical problems, and I told him no... except for enlarged tonsils, which were supposed to be taken out soon, but I hadn't scheduled it because she had the burn. He recommended a joint surgery since he didn't think the anesthesiologist would want to put her under with her huge tonsils.
So, between the people at the burn clinic and myself, we got things all coordinated. The only day Dr Bennett (the ENT) does surgery at Primary Childrens is on Wednesday, and of course Dr Staffle (The burn clinic MD) doesn't do surgery on Wednesday. Luckily, Dr Staffle changed his schedule around and accomodated us. I was so impressed with him! So, today C had surgery. I was so nervous, but there was the sweetest anesthesiologist intern that came out to talk to us, and he was so good with C. Said that she looks just like his little girl. He put me right at ease. I didn't even cry when he and the anesthesiologist took her. :)
Both surgeries combined took about an hour and they both went well. C had enough skin to stretch together when the burn was excised. After the hour, they called me back to be with her. The nurse said she had started to wake up and was very agitated. She said she wasn't sure whether it was the stress of not knowing what was going on, or if she was in pain, so she gave her some fentnyl (sp?) in her IV, and by the time I got back there, she was sleeping again. She slept for about 40 minutes and then I started playing with her hair and talking to her and woke her up. She woke up pretty happy. Although, she was a bit stressed that she was naked! LOL!
We came home and she slept for most of the afternoon, and then woke up and has been acting like normal... except a bit more emotional. So, we will see how tomorrow goes.
3 comments:
So relieved to see that every thing went well.
I feel for you...I am glad it worked out and I pray for her quick recovery! I can sympathize on the naked part, that is not fun!
I didn't realize this is what the surgery was. My mom says when I got my tonsils out, I was up playing that day. Hopefully she will be ok and be back to her normal self.
Post a Comment