Sunday, January 9, 2011

As a child, i hated sewing. My mom would be up late into the night, and i could hear the hum of her sewing machine. She would make clothes for me, costumes for people, crafts, etc. The kitchen counter was the home of her sewing machine. I remember once she signed me up to take sewing lessons with a lady inn our ward. What a mess! The lady totally cut the whole dress out wrong, and the fabric stretched longwise instead of widthwise. Seems like every time i tried to sew, it was such a fiasco. Sewing was anything but relaxing to me.

A few years ago, i decided to try sewing again. I made a few outfits for my oldest daughter, but it still wasn't fun for me. But in the last. Year, i have learned to cut out fabric, and how to read a pattern. I am loving sewing. I have made several outfits for my girls. I made school bags for my little girl, halloween bags, etc.

This year, we bought our oldest daughter her own sewing machine for Christmas. I sat down with her today, to start teaching her. She is so excited to learn this, and wow! I just have such a hard time being patient. I'm trying though. I've been teaching sewing for the last year to her friend in exchange for piano lessons. Why is it so much easier to be patient with a child that's not your own? I really had to work at it today. But, she's doing so great, and we've almost finished making some cute pants for her American Girl Doll. :)

No comments: